Thursday, September 10, 2009

I ALWAYS THOUGHT...

I always thought fancy gear was wasted on me and I couldnt tell the difference between the $1,000 frame and the $5,000 frame. I got the fancy stuff cheap from working for bike companies or shops so i just rode it.

I just rode the Edge Tubulars after a month on my clinchers (chris king and DT suisse R1.1). I was amazed at how much stiffer they feel! Even with big fat 34mm tubies with very little air in them I was bouncing off of stuff i got used to rolling over on the clinchers. Weird huh? i guess thats what deep dish carbon is for right!

Maybe the nice gear is worth it?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Worth it" is a subjective term that is directly correlated to how much disposable income one has.

    In cyclocross, if you are looking for a places to spend money it should be tires, wheels, frame, components. In that order. You would be better off with inexpensive tubular wheels with handmade tubulars, than carbon wheels and cheap tires.

    While I will be racing on carbon tubulars some of the time, I am more excited about the Dugast Pipistrellos that are glued to them.

    ReplyDelete